Friday, June 12, 2009

Rule 1 of the Big Fat Food Manifesto

Garlic is King !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Irish tend to disagree with my sentiments. Although, they really love their garlic chip and cheese (who wouldn't?) My partner is not a fan of garlic, nor is he a fan or the ubiquitous garlic chip and cheese. The thing about garlic is it adds so much depth to food. Just because it isn't slapping you in face doesn't mean it isn't there. Too many times I have made soups, stews, sauces etc. and forgotten to throw in a clove or seven into the mix. The results are mediocre not great. Something is missing and the answer torments me all night until finally, I awaken at four a.m. GARLIC, damn!!!!
Garlic and I were always friends. We fell in love when I was a teen, my friends and I used to go to the Westmark Hotel for appetizers. The height of sophistication. We always got baked Brie and roasted garlic. We probably imagined ourselves as the horsey type, just back from polo or something. At least Gore Vidal could sneer at our longing for this rich waspy lifestyle. I love retro food, I've never managed to try aspic, maybe it could be my Everest. I digress, the salty creamy cheese and the sweet smoky garlic were so amazing together. I really loved the stuff, I still do. It's so easy to make and my staunchly anti-garlic partner loves the stuff too. If the staunchest of the anti-garlic movement can be swayed...
2 large heads of garlic

2 t olive oil

1/2 t salt

8 oz whole wheel of
brie

crusty bread


Remove all but one layer of husks from the garlic (don’t separate into cloves). Place in small baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake covered in 350 degree oven until very tender, 75 to 90 minutes.

Score the brie and place in a shallow baking dish. Grill until brown and bubbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the bread.

Serve cheese while hot with the garlic and bread. Squeeze a clove or two of soft roasted garlic on a slice of bread, spread with a little melted cheese. Yummy.



1 comment: