Monday, June 22, 2009

Samphire

Last week while at the fish mongers, I noticed they had some samphire for sale. This was pretty exciting for me, as I had only come across the sea vegetable once before. This tidal plant is seriously delicious. It's very simple to make too. I have read on more than one occasion that samphire is similar to asparagus in texture and taste. I don't agree with this, it is salty and fresh like the ocean, and arguably better than asparagus. If you see it you must try it. I bought a little less than a pound for about four Euro, not to too spendy. If you know where to pick these guys in Ireland, tell me. I would be forever in your debt.

In the River Cottage Cookbook, Whittingstall explains that samphire is picked until the end of August and that the vegetable becomes fiberous and woody after flowering (in August.) To prepare pick over, clip off the ends of the stalks on larger plants, wash, boil until al dente and serve with melted butter. Samphire is an amazing accompanyment to fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment